FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations

+7
Kalon Ordona II
Guilty Carrion
Sighlent
Gunneh
Gadreille
Bird of Hermes
Kathryn Lacey
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations Empty Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

So I had an idea while looking through Kalon's Portrait Studio to see all of the characters he had created as avatar's for many of FOG's members: a role-play in which we take all of these characters, each of which reflect their owner in some way, and together create a world for them to interact in. It would take a bit of planning before, and a good deal of interaction to make the world flow smoothly. It isn't something the creator can make before hand; I think it is something everyone who joins the role-play should participate in.

And if anyone wants to join but doesn't have an avatar, simply head to the link above and request one from Kalon. I'm sure he will be more than happy to make one for you. And the more participants in this role-play would only make it better.

And if anyone thinks this should instead be moved to Advanced role-playing, we can do that. I just figured that because of the variety of people who may be participating it would be better to not have hefty requirements on posting.

Again, I don't really have many ideas for this role-play beyond the fantasy setting. If enough people express interest, then I will put up an OOC thread for the role-play where we can all post bio's of our characters, and from there we can start the world creation.

Back to top Go down

Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations Empty Re: Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:00 pm

I've been thinking a lot about this, and when I made my request to Kalon, I had three ideas for what he could make for me. One idea was just to have an elven me that's similar to what I donned for Halloween ((and what is seen in my set-up)). The second idea was to have the librarian-like me with glasses and maybe a book. The third idea was a combination of those things, and I honestly think that maybe I'm going to request he do that last one. I was thinking maybe I'd have a higher class, archive keeper or something with pretty clothes, the elven ears, and a book.

I don't really have any ideas beyond that, but it could be really cool, you know?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations Empty Re: Fantasy role-play inspired by Kalon's avatar creations

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm

I am interested. You can count me and my avatar in!
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm in. I hope Kalon doesn't mind the challenge!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

I also will be in

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Okay. With at least five people already wanting to be involved, we should be able to begin working on a world.

o Kalon's character would be a warrior based on his armor.
o Hermes' character is winged, so that presents options of other species.
o I want my character to be at least half-elven and having something to do with an archive or a sacred area with written works.
o Ryona's character is sorceress based on what I gathered from her request...

This offers a lot of varying things that may be contributed toward the plot and the world in general. Any ideas anyone?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 pm

My character will be evil. I always make evil characters and this should be no exception.

Can someone explain to me how to place a request to kalon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Well, he doesn't have an official way to go about it. Basically, just tell him what kind of colouring you want your character to have, what colours said character should wear, anything significant like scars or dimples or facial hair, and any armor or weapons you may want. He'll likely ask you questions if he needs more details than that.

Last edited by Kathryn Lacey on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:25 pm

This is the exact kind of idea we were discussing when we had the idea for a staff RP Very Happy I'm totally in if you lot will have me Very Happy
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 pm

No, Gunneh. You're not allowed. You should know better! >=(

Juuust kidding. Do you have any ideas for a world or for a plot?

For the world, I was kind of thinking that maybe there would be a different nations for different species. Because Hermes' character has wings, maybe there could even be a city in the sky for that brand of species?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:57 pm

You can count me and my Lady in. XD
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:Well, he doesn't have an officially way to go about it. Basically, just tell him what kind of colouring you want your character to have, what colours said character should wear, anything significant like scars or dimples or facial hair, and any armor or weapons you may want. He'll likely ask you questions if he needs more details than that.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm

One thing I want to mention is don't go ask Kalon to make you a character that you think will fit in with this role-play, or one that you think will simply make a badass character. Most of us had our character made to either resemble ourselves or our favorite character or perhaps both mixed together (as in the case of mine). I just don't want people trying to power-play anything. The story will be more realistic and flow more easily if the characters you have are more realistic (i.e. realistic flaws, strengths, personalities, motivations, etc.)

Silvone Elestahr: A knight in blue armor
Ryona Noel: A human Sorceress
Kathryn Lacey: (half)elven scribe or archivist?
Bird of Hermes: Winged character
Sighlent: From the looks of it...royalty or...even druidic perhaps?
Gunneh: Samurai?
Raptorman: Evil

Ryona had an idea that I really like, but I should share here so we can get some feedback on it:
Everyone is basically from there own world, but we've all been thrown into a strange new world by some unknown means. She said a portal, time-travel, and something about the end of the world... (yes, LOTR advertisement)
It would be a good way to mash all of our characters together with our own ideas.
Perhaps we could even somehow mash all of our worlds together to make something really chaotic. I dont know, but that is what we have so far.
Any more ideas?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Well, if you think about it, mashing all of the worlds together wouldn't be as chaotic as you think. First, think of our own, true world. Earth. We have a huge variety of cultures and physical characteristics. If you also think of Middle Earth, there were several types of species such as Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Trolls, Wizards, Orcs, etc. etc.

I think I like the idea of compiling one world with all of our characters rather than the idea of a portal or time travel or something being the reason why they all end up on one planet. It allows for a bit more depth, in my opinion.

That's not to say the portal idea isn't a good one. I just feel like a lot more could be done to mix all of the worlds into one. Plus, collaborating to create that one world would be so much fun!

Perhaps my opinion on the matter is biased because one of my ideas was that there could be this huge, international library of sorts in which information from all over the world has been collected and stored. ((Yes, I did get the idea from Avatar: The Last Airbender's Book Two: Earth; Chapter 10: "The Library." I'm not ashamed!)) It still seems like a really interesting idea, in my opinion, but if people don't like it, it doesn't have to happen.

=3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunneh Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 pm

My guy isn't so much of a samurai as he is just a very competent light swordsman: Lightweight armor, lightweight clothing and very nimble. I will say, though, that I'm more drawn to the idea of making one world instead of having the time travel idea.
Gunneh
Gunneh
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 pm

I like this idea. I'm actually tinkering out how I want my avatar to look as I type this.

If it's worth much, I think the one world idea seems more fitting. Plus it'd probably a riot to create something to fit all the diverse characters that'll pop up.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Silvone Elestahr wrote:One thing I want to mention is don't go ask Kalon to make you a character that you think will fit in with this role-play, or one that you think will simply make a badass character. Most of us had our character made to either resemble ourselves or our favorite character or perhaps both mixed together (as in the case of mine). I just don't want people trying to power-play anything. The story will be more realistic and flow more easily if the characters you have are more realistic (i.e. realistic flaws, strengths, personalities, motivations, etc.)

I am not, I am simply asking for a combination of my favorite character and myself. Who I made with my traits just turned evil. He does have some magic and traits but he is my favorite character so I thought to request him.

And I also feel the chaotic mashing off all the worlds together is the way to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 pm

I agree with Kathryn on this one. There is a good possibility that we can mash everyone together in this one world. I mean like she said, Middle Earth was one world but the map made it look super small. So imagine an entire globe! If that makes sense. If not that just ignore me up unto the part where I agree with Kathryn.

Very Happy
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 pm

It makes sense to me. In fact, I always sort of felt that Middle Earth was just really the only explored part of a bigger world with even more variety. I mean, the elves had a place across the sea to which to travel, but that place wasn't on the map. If they had that place, what if there were even more continents that weren't ever discussed?

That could be our world that we'll create! Maybe we could all come up with one country or one area from which our characters each hail, and find a way to fit them all together into one world? I'm thinking like... Mirkwood was one area. Lóthlorien was one area. Moria was one area. Etc. etc. Except, we'd come up with different names; we'd decide the geography of that area; we'd decide the cultural influence and the species of said area; etc. etc.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Can I have dibs on creating the realm of darkness part?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 pm

I like the portals idea, but the one world idea works as well, it will just be harder for us to make a realm together without making it seem pieced together.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Thats a fine idea, Kathryn. Silv's back up option was to essentially let everyone make their own character sheets, using only the most basic descriptions of a world for you guys to base your ideas off of. Silv had to go to work, but I'm sure he'll get up the character sheets tonight or tomorrow!

Perhaps someone can use the time portal idea for their own personal character, so we don't lose the idea.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Perhaps even there could be different planes. All one world, but with different overlapping planes (i.e. water, fire, wind, earth, spirit, astral, material, fey wild, shadow, etc.)
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Well, the idea of collaborating on it to smooth the edges would help keep it from being choppy and pieced-together feeling.

Hermes, I really like that idea. I don't know if this is exactly what you meant, but I said something earlier about there maybe being a city in the sky? Maybe there could be other cities in the ocean ((something akin to an Atlantis?))?

I also just realized that maybe there could be strategically placed transportation/magick portals that would help someone transport from one plane to another more quickly ((sort of like what you may see in video games))?

I may be getting ahead of myself, but this is just an interest check thread. It's a good place to throw ideas around before committing to things that would be placed within the OoC.

Is anyone any good at creating maps? I know some people for other role plays will try to create maps to use for reference.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:13 pm

I asked and no one answered, Can I have dibs on creating the realm of darkness part?

And personally I think that planes are great but that most of the world should be a world not a linkage of planes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Raptorman, you can create a realm of darkness but it may not be the only one, if you know what I mean. Someone else may make their own as well. Stories with multiple bad guys are awesome though.

I think the portals/planes should be created but used sparingly. Perhaps Bird of Hermes and Kathryn together can take control of that.

Kalon and I, together, make decent maps. However, Kalon hasn't signed up for this as of yet.

I think what we will do is have Silvone make a very general world, and people can take dibs on where their character is from, creating their culture around that location. I'm not 100 % sure that is how it is going to work though.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 pm

The planes can be used sparingly. Most people would be from the Material Plane. Just think of that as the "Earth".
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Yeah. I think you're right about the planes and such being used sparingly. Maybe when we create a plot, those planes and portals may come in handy, but yeah.

I was thinking maybe there would be one portal to be on the regular, most used part of the world ((material plane as Hermes said it)). One at the bottom of the ocean where the cities may be, one in the sky realm, one in the general shadow realm, one astral, and one fae?

It keeps the number of other planes down to only a handful, and the portals would be the main way to get between them. I think they would either be hidden or very well guarded, too, especially if baddies from the shadow realm are coming from them.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 pm

A character could be a "portal guardian" perhaps. Or from one of these strange planes sent to "Earth" to get help. Or even a person from the Material Plane looking to explore the planes for magic, power or glory.

The possibilities for characters are great. We could all fit in somewhere with the planes and a vast and diverse Material Plane.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Alright. I will create the shadow realm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next