FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Battle of Celebrant OOC

4 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Battle of Celebrant OOC - Page 2 Empty Re: The Battle of Celebrant OOC

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

That was bugging me too, but I kept forgetting to mention it to Ryona. Thanks for bringing it up, Kalon Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm still working on my post; progress is slow - I'm not happy with what I come up with and end up scratching some stuff. Still, I'm getting there...rather slowly...but it will come soon.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm going to just wait for you to finish, since I have been too busy to even think about what to write. Whenever your post is up, I will try to have mine follow within a week.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm still alive, just in case anyone was wondering. I'll wait until Blackrock and Ryona post so I can have some context in which to introduce Elendyne.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm

And posted. I'm not really sure what to make of my post....it's rather iffy. I was wondering if I should describe the way of life of the Eotheod or flesh out my character further. In the end, I decided to go with the latter and ended up going in-depth with the character. Hopefully his jumbled musings make some sense and I didn't take too much liberty with Ryona's characters. (I class Leohelm as such a character)

Also I can't guarantee it's typo-proof, it's getting a bit late and something may have slipped my mind. I'll review it once more tomorrow.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Typos, you say? Very Happy Maybe I can save you some trouble while I'm reading it anyway.

*reads in proofreading mode*
Spoiler:

Ack, gotta stop. Your post is too huge! Awesome, but very large; it has beaten me. xD I'd be totally fine with going through the rest of it for you, but I'm betting it'll all be similar stuff anyway.

*goes back to just plain reading*
Spoiler:
*done*

Good post! Lengthy and deep, in true Blackrock style! Thumbs Up
Huzzah for character development! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 pm

I posted...I didn't know where to start, so I started with a flashback. Hopefully you guys think its relevant and, um, good. haha.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:03 am

I really liked it, Ryona! I love all the posts so far. I'll start work on one tomorrow, but I humbly ask that you give me some time so that it will up to par with the rest of the other intro posts. My spring break is next week, so I'll have more time to write then. I should definitely get my first post up before the weekend, though.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 am

This is a no rush role play Smile And glad you liked it.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 am

Nice post, Ryona!

And Kalon: THANKS for all those mistakes you brought to light. Doubt I would have paid attention to them even if I tried! The thing with the dashes, I use them to denote direct speech. I've been studying English for a lot of years now and only *today* did I look that thing up and it turns out commas are used instead. This is a mistake for which I blame my own native language, where we use dashes. I'll keep this in mind, in the future.

As for travelling, it's only with one "l" in American English, I use British English, where the "l" doubles. Smile

At anyyy rate, looking forward to what SilvanArrow will bring to the table!

Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Those were both great posts, Ryona and Blackrock Smile I love that the feel of them was different from my own. It seemed to emphasize the differences between the two cultures, and I would say that each of the cultures is the natural fit for each of the players! I can't wait to see what Silvan comes up with next Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Oh gosh, no pressure, right? Wink Well, I first need to finish grading my students' research proposals, but I'm currently brainstorming ideas as we speak. I'm still a little fuzzy on how I can "gracefully" introduce Elendyne to the Greybarrow area and make contact with Ryona and/or Blackrock's characters in a way that doesn't feel "forced," so to speak, so if any of you have any input or epiphanies, I would certainly like to hear them.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Why don't you make your first post just going to Greybarrow, travelling through the dangers of Mirkwood? There are a plethora of monsters you can run into along the way, if you want to spice up your post. This will give Blackrock and I time to flesh out Greybarrow and give you a bit more info to work with when you arrive.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 pm

That sounds like a good idea, Ryona. I'll run with that for now and start working on it soon. I teach for six hours tomorrow, so I'll try to have it up by Thursday or Friday.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:44 am

Working on my post today. I had a bit of writer's block these past couple of days, but I think it's flowing better now. It should be up later this afternoon.

EDIT: FINALLY posted! I decided to play around with some elvish phrases from this website.. Anyone who is well-versed in Tolkien's languages, please feel free to critique or just tell me to ditch the elvish if necessary. Hope you all enjoy!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Well done! So glad you used spiders Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 am

Would the spiders instead be spawn of Ungoliant, and not Shelob? I'm not positively certain, of course, but it seems like a more likely thing for him to say, unless Shelob really did spawn the Mirkwood spiders. I forget exactly.

Also, there was one paragraph where you had Findor instead of Finrod. (Findor's a pretty cool name, too, though, come to think of it. xD)

For the thank you, I remember "hannon le" from the movies, but Sindarin grammar tens to have a loose word order, so I think 'le hannon' would work just as well. 'I thank you' vs. 'you, I thank,' I'm assuming, since 'le' is 'you.'
Which reminds me! I can't believe I didn't share this site with you all before, but here's another one for the helpful links list up top. Very Happy
Sindarin - The Noble Tongue

Wonderful post, Silvan! Great entrance! Clap
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks for the save on Finrod's name, Kalon. I think my fingers got dyslexic while I was typing and I started using the two names interchangeably. I thought I'd caught all of them when I proofread the post, but it just goes to show you how helpful a fresh set of eyes can be.

Regarding the spiders, the first website I checked said Shelob spawned the Mirkwood spiders, but I just googled Ungoliant (Sorry, I'm not well-versed in Tolkien's monster lore), and apparently she gave birth to Shelob, so it could go either way. And since I don't know if Shelob was born before or after our story's timeline, I'll go ahead and make that edit as well.

I also remember "Hannon le" from the movies, but I also saw it as "Le hannon" on that link I shared above. Like you said, it could probably go either way. Thanks for all the input!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 am

No problem. Sindarin is fun. ^_^

So... who posts next? Silvone?
I'm not necessarily prodding. Just curious. ^_^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:36 am

Nice post Silvan, I'm glad that everyone enjoys it....but there's something I don't quite understand. Now, I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I think you may have some geographical issues in the post.

"They had emerged on the western border of Mirkwood, just south of the Gladden Fields. "

Here I got really confused, as to why the elves would make such a perilous journey, bringing them so close to Dol Guldur. I had to re-read the post to make sure I didn't miss anything, however when I read on:

"As for Elendyne, she turned Nessa’s head toward the west and set off at an easy canter. Once they reached the Anduin River, they would follow it south past the woods of Lorien before turning southwest to the plains where the horsemen dwelt."

My question is: why are you going south? That way lies the province of Calenardhon (the future Rohan), where you are more likely to find Kalon's and Silvone's characters, rather than mine and Ryona's. I think you mixed up the places. To illustrate, I made some very rough sketches on the map linked in the first post, showing where you are and where you should be. As well as a suggested route. (in retrospect, I could have done this, and intended to, when you asked about tips, but real-life prevented me) The images are too big to fit here, so I'll just provide links.

First off, the lands of the horsemen are way up north, between the Langwell and Greylin rivers. Greybarrow itself, marked by a red "X" on the map, is located on the western shore of the eastern leg of the Greylin river. Here's the map: click

At the end of your post, you are just south of the Gladden Fields, which would be somewhere around here. And your intended route looks to me like this. Judging by the parts I quoted.

Now, you have two choices here. One is to simply amend the directions and say that you are going north, that should spare you any further trouble. However, I still remain by my statement that travelling this close to Dol Guldur doesn't really make much sense, especially when you have a better alternative. A quick glance at the map will reveal that the Forest River passes through the Wood Elves' realm. Merely following it upstream should bring you quite close to Greybarrow. This is a quick example of the route I suggest.

Sorry for taking your post apart like that, just thought it's better to clear up any would-be mistakes now, rather than realise you've been going the wrong way all that time! I blame the map we have for this confusion, but to my knowledge there isn't one where we can see how Middle-Earth looked during our time period.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for explaining that. I do wish we had a more accurate map Sad

I remember noticing something wasn't right but then I had to go to a birthday luncheon and completely lost that thought.

As for who posts next...I guess Silvone? Are we all in favor of staying in order?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Hey, Blackrock, so sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been laid up with a cold since Sunday. Thanks for being so quick to catch those mistakes. That's what I get for using my movie poster of Middle Earth as a reference, I suppose... I'll try to make the edits tomorrow before my mom comes into town.

Ryona, I'm fine with staying in order for now. If the RP takes a turn for where people need to post in different orders, that's totally fine too.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 am

It really shouldn't be too hard to fix, just a couple of direction adjustments and placement changes. It's an understandable error, I feel like a dolt everytime I say "Greybarrow is located on the western shore of the eastern leg of the Greylin river" yadayada...I get confused reading it myself haha!

Also, Silvone's only day off of work is TOMORROW so maybe if we're lucky he will reward us with a post?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Okay, I edited my post according to the route Blackrock suggested. That actually makes a lot more sense for them to follow the Forest river than the crazy route I originally used. Thanks a lot! Can't wait to see what Silvone brings to the table next!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I will be working on this post today, but I can't promise it will be up today or tomorrow. I would like to take my time with this role-play to put out quality posts, so I am sorry if that bugs anyone.

P.S. Great posts so far, everyone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

No worries, Silvone. Take as much time as you need. This slower pace of posting actually works a lot better for me, given that life will soon get much crazier after spring break. I would rather take more time and put out quality posts than rush through something half-heartedly.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Do you pronounce Elendyne kinda like simbelmyne?
In the movies: "SIM-bel-moon-uh" with, I would guess, the 'oo' sound framed like an 'e' but with rounded lips like a 'u.'
Hence: "ELL-en-doon-uh"?
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Ooh, that is pretty. I was pronouncing it Elend-ing. I wonder what it really is.

Aethylwyn is pronounced Ay-thell-win, in my mind anyway.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:44 pm

I've always pronounced it where the primary accent is on the first syllable (El- pronounced like the letter L) and the third syllable (-dyne) is pronounced like "Dean." I hope that makes sense? So I guess the respelling would be ELL-in-deen?
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 am

I am about 2/3 of the way through my post. Should be up tomorrow or the next day, depending on how much time Theoden gives me to write.

Kalon, I hope you don't mind, but I have solved the puzzle of the missing helmet. If you already had ideas for that, I will erase what I put in. I just wanted to add a bit of humor. You will see when I post it up, if you don't mind that I did it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next